Friday, January 30, 2009


Well I'm incredibly bored at home with nothing to do, so I'll blog about my surgery for you blog reading pleasures!

I woke up at around 9:30 and took a shower, and then we left. I couldn't eat because you can't eat 2 hours before the surgery. Then we headed over, signed in and they brought us to this room. My mom and the nurse left while I changed into a hospital gown thing and then I layed (lied? laid myself down? laid! That's it) and then i laid myself on the bed. Then the nurse hooked me up to the IV.

It was a lot simpler than I thought. She just barely pricked under my skin and then attached a tube, and I was all IV'd up. Then the anesthesiologist (wow I can't believe I actually spelled that right on my first try) came and he told me he was giving me "general" anesthesia which basically means I would fall unconscious. So after a little while they started wheeling me out for the surgery to begin.

Then we arrived in the room. The only way I can think to describe what it was like is imagine one of those TV shows or movies where they're in a hospital and the camera is pointed up and you see all the people bending over and looking down on you? Thats what it was like.

I had been given a bit of "relaxation" medication, so I was a bit out of it but the last thing I remember was this conversation:

Me: so that stuff works in a couple seconds?
Anesthesiologist (ted): Yes
Me: Tell me when you put it in
Ted: ... We did a couple seconds ago
Me: Oh.

I stayed awake for a couple more seconds, and then I was out of it. I know I dreamt while I was unconscious, but I don't remember about what.

The next thing I remember was being sideways on a bed and my first two thoughts were "I need a pillow" and "My throat hurts"

After a couple minutes I managed to open my eyes and the nurse noticed. I managed to say "Pillow" and "throat" and she understood. I could barely talk, and I couldn't really move but I was feeling increasingly awake and alert.

I guess the pillow I had i had pushed over to my side or something, I don't know.

Anyway so I continued being more alert and being able to move more. The woman gave me some pain medication for my throat, but it didn't help that much. My mom did spoon feed me some mashed popsicle though, and that helped.

After around half an hour, I was ready to go. I stood up, and I was a bit dizzy. I couldn't leave right away anyway, so I sat down on a couch for about ten more minutes.

Then the nurse started walking me out towards my mom and the car. About half way there, another nurse showed up with a wheelchair, and wheeled me out. Then I stood up, got in the car, and that was my epic surgery day.

I'm feeling a bit better today. I still have been taking 2 tylenols every 5 or so hours, but I can walk around, the color returned to my face, and my throat isn't too bad. I am a little light headed though.

So far i've eaten two full cartons of vanilla ice cream in two days... i'm so skinny aren't I xD.

On that subject, i belive that XD makes more sense. Otherwise that person has some very lopsided eyes!

Well I'll see you all on monday!

No comments: